When news about Linux support on PS3 was coming in a few months earlier, honestly, I was excited a little too much and started saving money for my console. A home computer running on a 9 core processor is no doubt a drooling proposition for any tech enthusiast. I even drew up a plan to use my PS3 as:
- my main computing machine (I can happily relegate the Centrino to my Wife)
- media center after installing mythtv on it (using a USB tuner)
- and as a game console too.
Now that news about actual performance of Linux on PS3 has started pouring in, there is very little to cheer about.
- The architecture is such that Linux cannot take advantage of all the cores in the system
- The system compares in performance only to a low end G5
- Initial reviews and comparisons do not show a better gaming experience than the XBox360.
So what next? Without second thoughts, I quickly dropped my plans for a PS3 and decided to build a media center PC over the weekend. And what a fun filled weekend it was! My Windows XP Media Center PC coupled with a Samsung 940BW wide screen has suddenly changed the TV viewing/multimedia experience at home! I have detailed post coming up later today with full details on how I built a Windows MCE PC from scratch.